Search This Blog

Saturday, September 15, 2007

My Writing/Ethic Philosophy

It's not hard to be a wine writer: you just have to have opinions about
wines and find someone to pay you
for those opinions. You also have to recognize that there's nothing really
free, and that you're getting wine samples, invites, dinners, trips and
parties not because you're so great and so cool. You get these perks because
it serves a purpose: ultimately, it's a wine writer's job in association
with "our industry partners" to sell wine. You might even want to read
"Oxford Companion to Wine" on the differences between a wine WRITER and a
wine CRITIC.

"The secret of wine writing is not simply to share opinions, but to give
readers the confidence to have their own." -- Giles Kime.

As always, I do what I can to produce publications and data which are
pleasing in every way and devoid of error. Life, however, mocks my efforts.
Prices change, and sometimes I live to regret the clever turns of phrase
that seemed so very right at the time. I apologize for errors of fact,
ill-conceived metaphors, mistakes of spelling or pronunciation, opinions
that will come back to haunt me in years to come, and solecisms of every
description. Like you, I try my damnedest, but it doesn't always work.
Still, perhaps next time. Thanks to someone who knows what I mean and
inspired me to write this disclaimer. E & OE, and all that...

Why is there NEVER enough time to do it right but ALWAYS enough time to do
it over? Look it up, and you'll remember it longer! (Screw it up, and you'll
remember it forever....)

Chimo!
www.deantudor.com
Dean Tudor, Wine Writer and Ryerson University Journalism Professor Emeritus

No comments: