The Event: The President's Tasting, Maxxium Canada.
The Venue: Vaughan Estate.
The Target Audience: clients, sommeliers, wine media, LCBO product
The Availability/Catalogue: this is basically a portfolio tasting since all
the items are available at Vintages, Classics, Consignment Program, or
Private Order. In the past, with reduced numbers, we had been favoured with
single offerings of wines from the 1950s and 1960s. Special order prices
were not given.
The Quote: "This event started when the company was Sainsbury; that must
have been about 15 to 20 years ago. Every year the wines and foods get
better, although I do regret the lack of older wines."
The Wines: I did not taste every wine - I passed on the fortifieds and
spirits. Still, there were a total of some 42 wines. My overall fave was
Charles Heidsieck Champagne 1989 Jerobaum (warm, toasty, well-aged: special
**** Four Stars (90 - 93 in Quality/Price Rating terms):
- Piper Heidsieck 2000 Champagne
- Simonnet-Febvre Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos 2005 (Classics, $69.95)
- Simonnet-Febvre Chablis 1er Cru Montmains 2005 (Vintages, May 24/08,
- Maison Louis Latour Corton Charlemagne Grand Cru 2005
- Maison Louis Latour Chambertin Grand Cru Cuvee Heritiers 1996
- Masi Serego Alighieri Vaio Armaron Amarone Classico 1988
- Johns Blend Cabernet Sauvignon Langhorne Creek 2001
- Sena Aconcagua Chile (Jan 2008 Classics, $79)
- Cathedral Cellar Chardonnay Paarl 2005 ($14.95, sold out)
- Cathedral Cellar Shiraz Paarl 2003 (Vintages, $16.95)
- Clos du Bois Briarcrest Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley 2003 (Vintages
Feb 6, 2008, $59.95)
*** Three Stars (86 - 89 in Quality/Price Rating terms):
- Charles Heidsieck Mis En Cave 2001 Champagne
- Chateau La Louviere Rouge Pessac-Leognan 2003 (Vintages, $49.95)
- Collavini Merlot dal Pic 2001
- Masi Serego Alighieri Vaio Armaron Amarone Classico 2000
- Donnafugata Mille e una Notte 2004
- Poderi Colla Barolo Bussia 2003
- J & F Lurton Chacayes Mendoza 2004 (April 2008 Classics, $77.95)
- J & F Lurton Piedra Negra Mendoza 2004 (July 19, 2008 Vintages, $39.95)
- Masi Tupungato Passo Doble Mendoza 2006 (General List, $14.95)
- Cathedral Cellar Triptych Paarl 2004 (Vintages, December 2007, $16.95)
- Kanonkop Pinotage Stellenbosch 2004 (April 2008 Classics, $45.95)
- Buena Vista Carneros Chardonnay 2005 (Vintages Aug 30, 2008, $23.95)
- Clos du Bois Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 (Vintages, $29.95)
- Geyser Peak Reserve Alexandre Meritage Alexander Valley 2004 (Vintages Feb
2, 2008, $54.95)
The Food: as usual, the unusual - oysters, seafood paella (with lobsters),
shrimp, mushroom tartes, cheeses, breads, and the like, with desserts in the
fortified and spirits room.
The Downside: despite restrictions, there was an interesting assortment of
gatecrashers ranging from singles to couples. How did they get in? Also,
some of the waitstaff did not know where their wines were on the table.
The Upside: the show was very relevant.
The Contact Person: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Effectiveness (numerical grade): 90.