A reference guide to wine and food: look it up, and you'll remember it longer; screw it up, and you'll remember it forever.
Search This Blog
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Yalumba Wine Seminar, Thursday, Oct 2, 2008
The Time and Date: Thursday October 2, 2008
The Event: Yalumba wine seminar with Jane Ferrari
The Venue: Biff's, Front Street
The Target Audience: wine media
The Availability/Catalogue: all of the wines are available or will be.
The Quote: "Yalumba imports oak staves from France and America, and then air-dries this oak for a few Barossan summers and winters to leach sappy-bitter characteristics from the wood".
The Wines: the seminar had seven wines --
1. Yalumba Barossa Viognier Eden Valley 2006 (+954644, $22.95) stored for a short time in third year oak (previously inhabited with chardonnay). Stone fruit, rich and intense.
2. Yalumba Barossa Wild Ferment Chardonnay Eden Valley 200 (+528406, $19.95) slightly off-dry, toasty wood tones, more stone fruit.
3. Yalumba Barossa Bush Vine Grenache Eden Valley 2006 (+531228, $20)
begins tart, opens up to become more a food wine with some Euro character, generous red fruit.
4. Yalumba Barossa Shiraz & Viognier Eden Valley 2005 (+524926, $19.95) prominent mocha tones, peppery, red and black fruits, long finish.
5. Yalumba Barossa Patchwork Shiraz Eden Valley 2006 (+98392, $19.95) from the valley floor, where the overview looks at a patchwork design of vineyards. Deep, dark and delicious, broad fruit, powerful but not aggressive, needs time.
6. Yalumba Barossa Hand Picked Shiraz & Viognier 2004 (+631028, $41.95) more mocha, mouthfilling, soft and fruity and aromatic. Red fruits. Could be ready now.
7. Yalumba Barossa The Octavius Old Vine Shiraz 2006 (+449017, $109.95) concentrated and stylish elegance, from seven vineyards; long, long engaging finish. Smokey chocolate, thick. Could use more time.
The Food: breads and water
The Downside: it was slightly rushed, and I felt that we needed a full two hours.
The Upside: a chance to actually talk to the winemaker.
The Contact Person: email@example.com
The Marketing Effectiveness (numerical grade): 87.