A reference guide to wine and food: look it up, and you'll remember it longer; screw it up, and you'll remember it forever.
Search This Blog
Saturday, September 18, 2010
Some New Wines Tasted in August 2010
SOME NEW PRODUCTS TASTED August 2010
1. MontGras Reserva Carmenere 2009 Colchagua Valley, +178624 General List, $11.95: nifty price for the earthy, herby red wine, with just enough complexity to make you think. Mocha tones and a soft finish. Half a year in oak, mostly French, half of it new. 14.3% ABF and a twist top.
2. F.W. Langguth Black Slate Riesling 2009 Mosel, +176917, $10.95: released in time for summer parties. Twist top, 11.5% ABV. Expect apples, limes, just barely off-dry mode finish.
3. Grand Sud Merlot 2008 Vin de Pays D'Oc, +171314, $9.95 for 1000 mL. Jammy red fruit, short finish, medium body. But a qualified quaffer at this price. 13% ABV, but no twist top.
4. From Diamond Estates there is a new series FRESH, made in the tradition of Birchwood Estate Wines. Said Tom Green the winemaker: "Many of the grapes we are using for these wines come from the same vineyards that we have used for years to make Birchwood products." All are VQA Ontario, from the larger designation. It is already listed in Ontario, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. The line will be officially launched during Ontario Wine month (September 2010) at $11.95 each. To date, there are two reds (Merlot Syrah VQA 2008, merlot75/syrah25, +192609, with black fruit, aged in oak for 5 months; and Cabernet Gamay VQA 2008, 52gamay/25cabfranc/23cabsauvignon, +192617, with red fruit and mocha and five months in oak). There are two whites (Sauvignon Blanc Chardonnay VQA 2008, 60sauvignon blanc/40chardonnay, +192625, with limes, gooseberries, orchard fruit, and five months oak for the chardonnay; and Gewurztraminer Riesling VQA 2008, 47gewurztraminer/46riesling/7kerner, +572156, with stone fruit tropicality and spices, no oak). The Rose VQA 2008 is 55riesling/25sauvignonblanc/20gamay, +192633, with red fruit and citrus tones. I found the reds engaging, and the whites and rose were undoubtedly put through the mechanical cold stabilization device that Diamond bought some years back for absolute freshness. They are all to be consumed soon after purchase.
5. Domaine Les Yeuses Les Epices Syrah 2007 Vins de Pays d'Oc, +177584, $12.95:value-priced, great 100% syrah hit of pepper, smoked meat, black fruit. 13.5% ABV. Worth every penny, a gem at this price, in the top 100 at the London Wine Fair.
6. Cave de Roquebrun Roches Noires Maceration 2007 Saint-Chinian-Roquebrun, +177519, $17.95: black fruit, red berries, and minerals, some prevalent mocha tones, 60% syrah, 20% Grenache, 20% mourvedre, all old vines. 13.5% ABV. Lots of gold medals. Wine of the Month at Vintages, July 24, 2010.
7. Domaine Lou Moural Collection Reservee Minervois 2007 +175190, $12.95: lively light Grenache flavours of cherries and plums, with some syrah component. 45% syrah, 50 % Grenache, 5% carignan. Red fruit all the way, 13.5% ABV. BBQ wine.
8. Domaine des Aires Hautes Minervois La Liviniere 2007, +017137, $19.95: black and spicy, lots of flavour and flavours, but also a hot wine with 15.5% ABV. 45% syrah, 40% Grenache, 15% carignan.
9. Domaine J. Laurens Le Moulin Brut Blanquette de Limoux Midi, +180323, $16.95: a new entry in the "Methode Traditionnelle" sparkling sweepstakes in Ontario. 12% ABV, older vines, at least 90% local mauzac grapes but with some estate-grown chardonnay and/or pinot noir, dry mode, great for summer. Persistent mousse.