The Event: Grand Marchi Iconic Wines of Italy; a Vintages Taste and Buy
The Venue: King Edward Hotel
The Target Audience: the afternoon was for the trade and media
The Availability/Catalogue: All wines were available in some form, either as
exclusive to the event or as Vintages offerings on specified dates (or
already here). Most wines were exclusive.
The Quote: "Digitus tinto reigns supreme at this tasting: heavy, dark wine
stains on the fingers and thumbs"
The Wines: the Grandi Marchi is a group of 18 wineries, from all regions of
Italy. They specialize in high quality wines, not necessarily at high
prices. Many of the principals were here at the tasting to answer any
Best wine: Tenuta San Guido Sassicaia 2005 Toscana ($169.95, Vintages Feb 2,
2008: load up!) with deep structure, 4.5 stars.
**** Four Stars (90 - 93):
- Marchesi Antinori Pian delle Vigne Brunello di Montalcino 2001 ($61.95,
- Ca del Bosco Brut Sparkling Wine Franciacorta ($38, Vintages)
- Gaja Pieve Santa Restitua Sugarille Brunello di Montalcino 2001 ($150,
- Gaja Sperss 2001 Langhe Nebbiolo ($259, Classics)
- Masi Campololongo di Torbe Amarone Classico 2001 ($85, Vintages)
*** Three Stars (86 - 89)
- Marchesi Antinori Badia a Passignano Chianti Classico Riserva 2001
- Marchesi Antinori Guado al Tasso 2003 ($81.95, Vintages)
- Poggio Salvi Brunello di Montalcino Riserva 2001 ($99, Classics)
- Michele Chiarlo Barolo Cerequio 2003 ($85, exclusive)
- Folonari Campo al Mare 2005 Bolgheri ($34, exclusive)
- Alois Lageder Benefizium Porer Pinot Grigio 2006 ($28, exclusive)
- Alois Lageder Krafuss Pinot Nero 2004 ($50, exclusive)
- Pio Cesare Barolo 2003 ($62.95, Vintages)
- Pio Cesare Barbaresco Il Bricco 2003 ($99, exclusive)
- Rivera Puer Apuliae 2004 Nero di Troia ($43, exclusive)
- Tasca d'Almerita Rosso del Conte 2004 ($69, exclusive)
- Umani Ronchi Pelago 2004 ($44, exclusive)
The Food: cheeses and breads and crackers, dried fruit.
The Downside: my ticket got lost in the mail despite my email RSVP. But they
took me anyway.
The Upside: a light attendance during the day meant that many dilettantes
did not turn up, saving me some conversational grief.
The Contact Person: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Effectiveness (numerical grade): 87.