By DEAN TUDOR, Gothic Epicures Writing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Creator of Canada's award-winning wine satire site at http://fauxvoixvincuisine.blogspot.com. My
"Wines, Beers and Spirits of the Net Compendium" is a guide to
thousands of news items and RSS feeds, plus references to wines, beers
and spirits, at www.deantudor.com since 1995. My tastings are based on
MVC (Modal Varietal Character); ratings are QPR (Quality-to-Price
Ratio). Prices are LCBO retail. Only my top rated wines are here. NOTE:
The LCBO does NOT put out all of the wines of the release for wine
writers or product consultants. Corked wines are not available for re-
1. Sumac Ridge Black Sage Vineyard Chardonnay 2007 VQA Okanagan: nicely
aged and developed well, citric finish plus smoke. +393710, $14.95,
2. Geyser Peak Chardonnay 2008 Alexander Valley: 13.5% ABV, nice as
sipper or with food, lots of wood activity and smoke and vanilla,
finishing with fruit. +343475, $16.95, QPR: 90.
3. Veramonte Reserva Chardonnay 2008 Casablanca Valley: creamy, luxury,
best young (i.e., now), 13.5% sipper. +494443, $14.95, QPR: 89.
4. Boschendal 1685 Chardonnay 2008 South Africa: elegant blend of
toast, vanilla, and fruit to a lingering finish. +172601, $15.95,
5. Kuhlmann-Platz Hunawihr Gewurztraminer 2008 Alsace: 13.5%, very good
MVC, hits all the highlights for gewurztraminer, but less dry than
others. +169474, $17.95, QPR: 90.
6. Luc Pirlet Les Barriques Viognier Reserve 2008 Vins de Pays d'Oc:
delicious floral wine, sip mostly but also with first course, buy it at
this price. +177675, $11.95, QPR: 91.
7. Perrin & Fils Reserve Cotes du Rhone Blanc 2009: light floral
aromatics, useful as aperitif, sip or food, patio? +177675, $14.95,
1. Big Yellow Cab Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 Mendocino: powerful fruit
components, chocolate and coffee tones, smoke, vanilla, with some age
behind it. +35014, $17.95, QPR: 90.
2. Alamos Syrah 2008 Mendoza: s strong syrah product, still needs time,
may repay cellaring. +183848, $13.95, QPR: 89.
3. Carta Vieja Limited Release Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 Lonocomilla
Chile: good complexity of Cabernet Sauvignon, MVC of black currant and
spices. +169888, $13.95, QPR: 90
4. Mount Langri Ghiran Billi Billi Shiraz 2005 Victoria: good aging
shows with fruit now five years old, twist top, 14% ABV. +719575,
$16.95, QPR: 90.
5. Thorn-Clarke Terra Barossa Cuvee 2007: basic and pleasant everyday
sipper, 14% ABV. LCBO pre-release notes say it has Cabernet Franc but
this grape variety was not on the label. +684357, $15.95, QPR: 89.
6. Les Vignerons de la Suzienne Cuve du Comte 2007 Southern Rhone:
terrific syrah flavours at a bargain price, easily worth three times as
much. 13.5% ABV, Please don't buy all of this wine until Monday, so I
can have Saturday to load up for myself +178822, $15.95, QPR: 94.
7. Beronia Elaboracion Especial Tempranillo 2008 Rioja: smoky wine, not
for the faint of heart, a keeper for the cellar but ready now. +723643,
$15.95, QPR: 90.
Restaurants should consider offering these FINE VALUE wines at a $10
markup over retail; the wines are READY to enjoy right NOW. Consumers
should buy these wines to bring to restaurants with corkage programs.
2. Bouchard Pere et Fils Domaine Les Clous Meursault 2007, +661322,
3. F. Tinel-Blondelet L'Arret Buffatte Pouilly-Fume 2008, +169730,
4. Bouchard Pere & Fils Domaine Teurons Beaune 1er Cru 2007, +169797,
5. Domaine de Haut des Terres Blanches Chateauneuf-du-Pape 2007,
6. Barone Ricasoli Castello di Brolio Chianti Classico 2006, +942607,
7. Antiche Terre Venete Amarone Della Valpolicella 2007, +177733,